Fresh Air Green Bin
Arjun Vallipuram
David Thompson Secondary
Floor Location : J 167 N

This whole idea of the Fresh Air Green Bin all started with the common problem of a stinky green bin. This soon prompted me to look into this common issue. I then discovered that the cause of my displeasures were the prominent gases of hydrogen sulphide, methane, amines, ammonia. This caused me to take an interest in building a better, more state of the art green bin that will put an end to what ails me. I first started by thinking ways to make this idea work. This is when I began looking into the properties of gas and how it moves and travels. This is when I discovered the Brownian motion. This basically shows how the motion of gas is decided when a heavier gas molecule is bashed around by the more rapid and lighter gas molecules. Either way the gas was going to go up. This led to my various designs. The first including a detachable trey of water that will dissolve the gas and contain it. But this idea was then nulled by the fact that pressurized air was needed to make this idea work. The problem with this was that pressurized air was unsafe to use around gases such as methane and hydrogen sulphide, which are highly reactive when exposed to higher pressures. My next idea is the one that developed into what is known today as the Fresh Air Green Bin. This idea started when I decided to take on my issues step by step. I found two products that would resolve the problem with the four gases. The first was an activated carbon filter, and the second being a jar of ammonia absorbing granules. Now I had to find an effective way to incorporate these two products in a state of the art design. My first idea was to make to boxes out of wood, an inner and outer box. The outer box would squish the filters between the two and the powder would be kept in a detachable trey. This idea was developed on, but what I didn’t consider was what kind of ventilation holes I preferred. I then narrowed down the options to 4 unique types. But I decided to change the material to aluminum, forcing me to compromise between all of the 4 options. I then started my construction after many compromises and adjustments my innovation was complete. I immediately began my experiment after the bin was ready for use. After the experiment I found out some things I could consider for improvement. I discovered that the placement of the chemical cup was very ineffective. I also discovered that over time the odour molecules will eventually all deposit at the top, causing the top of the bin to give off a foul odour. The source of my errors came mostly from human error. This was mainly shown in the construction, with the box having uneven bend, cracks, gaps, and uneven measurements. Also the amounts measured in my first experiment were approximations.